Heading into full-on winter looking like the Mama Bear I feel I’m becoming, I’ve made a pact with myself not to work in the clothes I’ve worked out in. Each day, I am getting dressed! I want to elevate my WFH Look — you know, the Look good feel-good thing. The catch here isn’t the effort I’m putting into looking cool-girl chic from my desk; it’s doing so without making my upstairs hallway a satellite annex of the Spring Runways in Bryant Park. My wardrobe intentions are simple: add a few things, recycle some staple pieces, and tie them together with something shiny. This Look I am putting together—the professional zoom call, walk the dog, and run into a neighborhood friend on the sidewalk look I call “elegant casual.” Its formula is simple—one casual piece, one slightly elevated piece, one item of jewelry — no major stretch related to spandex.
Honestly, the transformation has not been herculean. I pull on a pair of jeans I love, any wash, a lovely blouse or sweater (often using a belt), and some kind of earring, necklace, or bracelet to catch the light from my halo lamp on a zoom call. When I emerge from my home office in this simple get up, my kids think I’ve actually “dressed up,” that this groundhog day repeat might be different, or that I dressed for them and our own little winter quarantine oasis! In a nutshell, my wardrobe upgrade has given their “Mom View” a lift and doubly my mood too!
I challenge you to try it, even for just a day or two a week, and see if your outlook and output rise!
My new clothing additions were made on-line. Here are a few of my favorite sites (now getting some traction) to peruse and find that great blouse, sweater, pair of jeans or cool accessory.
Cool On-line Shopping
- Cabana Canary – the key here is the perfect edit of fabulously fun designers, like Tish Cox (she
makes the best blouses), A piece Apart, Erdem, and Ulla Johnson to name a
few, that is modern yet relaxed and feminine
- Tukebazaar– an on-line boutique like no other, both uptown, downtown, and boho with the
prettiest tops and more all in one place
- The SIL (Stuff I Love)- one of a kind curated pieces that include, beautiful tops, dresses
and unique jewelry
- The Reset Lounge Wear – sophisticated, soft lined chic clothing line that has the best funnel
neck tops, satin blouses and vneck pullovers to be found anywhere
- Molly Moorkamp – elevated classics that are made of sumptuous fabrics and not too preppy I
have to give a shout out to the Lizzy Shift and Caro Dress that look 5x what
they cost in style and fabrics
- Merlette – fabulous blouses with just the right detail to make any blouse or top they have
- Madison Matthews – a fresh take on the block print, with velvets, cottons and silks thrown into
the mix. By far the best tunic, shirt and dress cuts found off the rack and on-line